The d’Arche family, originally from Arche (Viscounty of Turenne in Bas-Limousin) is a French noble family known since the 13th century, several of whose members held notable positions with the King and his armies.
In 1611, Etienne d’Arche, from the 8th generation, eldest son of Bernard d’Arche, Knight and Lord of Arche, formed the branch of the family that settled in the Bordeaux region. Doctor regent of the University of Bordeaux and a lawyer at the Parliament of Guyenne, he was the pioneer of the family to become passionate about the wine profession by buying an estate.
It was his great grandson, François d’Arche, King’s Counsellor, who acquired the Cru de Braneyre in 1733, to whom he gave his name as it was customary.
From 1753, he devoted himself to the management of his numerous estates but resided at the Château d’Arche.
During the French Revolution, Château d’Arche was seized and sold as national property. Some time later, it will be shared between several families.
In 1855, Château d’Arche, then owned by Mr. Lafaurie & Cie, was designated 2nd great growth of the Gironde’s classified white wines; its wines were already among the most famous of Sauternes at the time.
In 1925, Armand Bastit-Saint-Martin, mayor of Sauternes from 1934 to 1971, succeeded his father-in-law at the head of the Château d’Arche and undertook a process of reunification of the estate.
In 1996, Chateaud’Arche was bought and the team in place continues the work done for centuries to make an exceptional vineyard while respecting the environment and ancestral traditions.
Opening in 2002 of the Hotel du Château d’Arche, a pioneer in Sauternes in terms of wine tourism. Château d’Arche has long been a place of meeting and sharing.
2019, Inauguration of a unique winery in Sauternes, an innovative and “ecoresponsible” tool which, in addition to improving the quality of our wines, allows us to work while respecting nature and our environment, the very source of our profession. If it is a technical tool, it is also a reception area with a reception room and a store.